Sunday, January 4, 2009

Imagination

I think that one of the best things about being a child is having an active imagination. Think about it... no cares in the world and the ability to create whatever world you want to live in by simply pretending! What could be better? I have been blessed with a child with an awesome imagination. Andrew can turn a simple conversation into a long winded tale. Bath time is not a simple wash of the hair, but instead it's time well spent with many imaginary friends, talking bathtub letters, the jolly green giant and many other characters!

As you saw from the "boat" video, a cardboard box is a ton of fun! Just today I saw Andrew in a little plastic bin (used to hold his blocks) holding a fishing pole from his "Let's Go Fishing" game. Yeah - he was in the ocean... fishing. (Can you tell he likes the water with all of this boat talk?) Today we were going to the grocery store and his Rocket suitcase came with us (Rocket from the Little Einsteins). Well, in order to keep from having to take Rocket into the store with us, we pretended he was protecting Mommy's car from Big Jet. (You have to see it to get it).

On Saturday afternoon we took Andrew to a new place that opened near us "Imaginations at Play". That store name described my son to a "T". Keith and I took him there about an hour before it closed and he had a blast. There was a veterinarian clinic, a bubble bath area, a sand castle, train town, an art area, a farmers market, a movie stage and a musical tree. The place wasn't huge, but it was cute enough to keep Andrew busy for a while.

I was a customer at Andrew's farmer's market and Andrew served us hot dogs and hamburgers and a ham and cheese sandwich. We sat in the music tree and played with some bells, a keyboard, a guitar and some drums. He did the "Hot Dog" dance (from Mickey Mouse's Clubhouse) on the movie stage and we played in the sand. It was a blast and I hear there is a place about 20 minutes away that is so much bigger and full of many more imagination stations!

I think my favorite part of the entire thing was watching my biggest boy with my littlest boy - that would be Keith and Andrew. :-) They had so much fun and I even managed to catch a smile on Andrew's face AND take a picture (gasp!). They played with the trains and the sand and one of my favorite pictures was of them painting together.

So... some pictures!







Those of you waiting for your kiddos to come home this year... pretend! Imagine! Once you have your little one, it sometimes seems so "annoying" to have to pretend, but in reality it's you're child growing (and it helps fight temper tantrums and meltdowns). Andrew grows each and every day. His vocabulary, his expressions - you name it! I'm trying to step back and be grateful for this fun stage because there will be a time when he doesn't want to pretend and it will be "dumb" (can you tell I've been through the teenage years already?!?!?!).

Andrew has been very, very snuggly lately. Both Keith and I have noticed a lot of hugs and kisses being initiated on his side. Each time he gets out of the car he wants "loves" (us to pick him up and hug on him). He also has started giving compliments. "I love your hair clip, mama and I love your hair." "I like your shirt, dad.", etc, etc... It's a new side of Andrew we haven't seen yet. I suppose it's another step in attachment - something we've really taken for granted with Andrew!

Speaking of imagination... Imagine being in New Zealand, standing on a 120 foot bridge and bungee jumping! Yep - that's what my darling, dearest Alex did just the other day.




Happy over the hump day!
Becky

8 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

What a fun play place. It reminds me of the Monkey's Treehouse in Nashville. Your photos were wonderful!!

I cannot imagine Alex bungie jumping. I would be so scared. That is one of the only things on the Amazing Race that I'd probaby have to quit over.

Love the rocket story. We too are scared of Big Jet. He plays a mean Little Old Lady in the Red Riding Episode. Gotta love their imaginations!

Anonymous said...

I know your heart had to skip a beat when you first saw those photos of Alex bungee jumping! He must be having the time of his life!

Sounds like Andrew is doing wonderfully with pretend play -- what a bright, engaging little boy! We're all about Rocket and Big Jet at our house, too!

Dede said...

What a cool place to go! You did a great job with the photos too!

Dan and Alicia Marlowe said...

I have never even had the slightest urge to do such a thing! My stomach is in my throat just thinking about it!

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

So incredible to hear that Andrew is thriving and that you guys are bonding so well. There is nothing sweeter than a little boy with his parents...true love. I know I have a little lover myself!

Cannot believe Alex..the thought of doing that gives me chills...wow!

Troy and Rachel said...

That imagine place looks awesome!! We need to find more places like that around here. I'm glad Andrew is doing so well and he is just a doll!!

Awesome to Alex on the bungie jumping. I would so love to do that - and it was so beautiful where he was!

Happy New Year!! Sorry I'm late!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

That looks like a very fun place. I'm amazed by his imagination. He is so cute! I hope Alex is having a great time on his trip-it looks like he is! Wow!

Mama Fish said...

Awesome photos of the Bungee jump! I could absolutely NEVER do that! How is that for good grammar?? Your pictures with Andrew are so good. I need to take photos of our little man! I am horrible about documenting things in photo.