Sunday, January 4, 2009

Rewind... Christmas Eve 2008

I finally have all of the pieces of the video from Christmas Eve put together and edited to share with you. To rewind, on Christmas Eve the family (Keith, Alex, Andrew, Mandy, Brian and I) went to my dad and step-mom's for dinner along with my neighbors, Steve and Lou. My dad had mentioned to me in the beginning that he anticipated some "noise" out back and to just keep an ear open. Not really sure what he meant, I said I would and just waited.

A little while later I heard a faint noise. Was it jingle bells? Oh my goodness, I think it was!! I told everyone to listen and then we heard a "Ho, ho ho" and there was a knock at the door. Andrew looked around, completely bewildered. He kept asking who was at the door and then, with Nana's help he undid all of the locks to find two presents just outside the door. (Of course, at this point, none of us were smart enough to start video taping - add that feather to my "mother of the year award" cap!)

The first present said "To Andrew. Love, Santa" and it was a big ole' box of munchkin donuts (my little guys FAVORITE!). The other present was a CD. On it Santa wrote "Andrew. Xmas 2008. From Santa Claus". My dad popped the CD in and the fun began! We have the majority on video, but neither Nana, Aunt Mandy or myself thought to start video until a bit into it. I tried to put the missing audio into the video, but I am feeling a bit technically challenged this evening. So... to set the scene...

The video starts with some jingle bells in the background and some Ho, ho, ho's.

Santa: Ho, ho, ho! This is Santa Claus and I'm looking for a little boy named Andrew Vasa. Andrew? Is Andrew Vasa there? Where are you?

Andrew: (bending down and looking into the fireplace) Yes!! Santa?
Santa: This is Santa and I just wanted to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas. I've been watching you all year long to see if you've been a good or bad boy and I can see that you've been a very good boy this year!

Andrew: (still checking out the fireplace) Santa? Where's your Rudolph? Huh? Where's your Rudolph?

Santa: Andrew do you know any Christmas songs? What about Jingle Bells? Do you know Jingle Bells, Andrew?

Andrew: nods

.... and this is where the video starts.



Once it's all over, my dad says to all of us "45 years of playing music and this is what it comes down to". :-) Yep - making a little boys Christmas that much more "magical"! I've told my dad that he's set the bar this Christmas and will have to live up to it for years and years to come! I also told him that he and Santa should get together to make these gifts for other boys and girls each Christmas. :-)
We laughed so hard we had tears streaming down our faces that night. The look on Andrew's face was so priceless. I, of course, left my camera AND my video camera home (duh!) so thankfully Aunt Mandy and Nana took plenty of pictures, a few of which are below (can't seem to get Nana's pictures off the CD - as mentioned previously, I'm challenged!)

Andrew looking for Santa in the fireplace

Playing horsey on Daddy's leg

Nothing says "Merry Christmas" like opening presents with new underwear on your head!

And now you are caught up on Christmas Eve! I have some more audio to post in the next few days. Grandpa and Nana babysat on Friday so I could take a nap and get some shopping done. (YAY, NAP!!!) Well, Grandpa has a little recording area upstairs for his music and he had an interview with Andrew (which he burned to CD as a gift from Andrew to Mommy and Daddy). It is absolutely priceless! There's a little something for Florida Grandpa and Grandma too! Stay tuned... Andrew is bound to be a recording artist! :-)

Love,

Becky

P.S. There is nothing quite like seeing your parents (both mine and Keith's) become "kids" again with your own child. It just makes you wish you would have had kids earlier!

P.S.S. I created my blog header myself!!! Not too exciting to most of you, but I'm very happy with it! :-)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the blog header! That is my favorite one yet of yours and cannot believe that you created it yourself! Goes to show who REALLY got the artistic talent in the family ;-)

The video is great - I was just laughing out loud again! Grandpa did a fabulous job and surprised all of us! Can't wait to see what he has in store for next year! (Although, we could probably get away with playing the same CD :-))

Anonymous said...

I don't know which is more priceless: Andrew shouting up the chimney at Santa or Andrew's little Jingle Bell dance! And I am so, so impressed that you made that blog header! The makeover looks great!!

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

How absolutely cute was that!?! It sure was nice of Santa to visit you guys on Christmas Eve! And Andrew's "where's Rudolph?" Oh yeah, I see $10,000 in your future on AFV!

Amy said...

Great way to start the day with a laugh and a smile provided by Andrew Vasa. Tooooo cute. And I love the blog header -- so see, you aren't that behind in technology!

ps - I'll never live my crock pot forgetfulness down!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Becky, that video was priceless! Mandy did great job, she has second career. Butch should get Grandpa of the Year Award for even thinking of the CD, much less for the enjoyable music. Andrew is like a sponge, soaking up English like water. It is amazing. As for your newest header, as always, it is beautiful. All of your headers that have a darker background always look fabulous.

Mark and Sinziana said...

Those are wonderful Christmas memories you guys got! Your dad rocks! I love the header, it is really cute!

Kevin T. said...

Hi Becky,
That is an amazing blog header- I love it too! That was so cute and so funny how Andrew was yelling for santa up the chimney!! What a priceless video!

Anonymous said...

Hi Beck/Keith...Nana and I still laugh everytime we even THINK of Andrew on Xmas eve, let alone when we watch the video!!!! He was sooooo cute! It's great when they "believe" and, yes, it made me remember all of the good times I had watching you and Mandy while you were both growing up. We both want to tell you and Keith what a GREAT job you're both doing in raising Andrew. After working with thousands of kids during my 33 years of teaching school I can say, without any reservations, that Andrew is one SPECIAL little boy...and I'm NOT saying that just because he's my grandson! You guys are doin' good!! I know it can be frustrating at times but keep up the good work! We love you! Dad and Dasha.

Aaron & Dana Craven said...

I love the video. That is priceless. Andrew is so cute. Also I love the blog layout. You are so good at that!

Mary and Michael said...

Oh Becky, I laughed so hard watching that video. Andrew's little dance is so cute. And I love your new header, very impressive.

Mama Fish said...

Becky! That was sooo funny! I was cracking up, I'm surprised I didn't wake up the little one! His saying, "Where's your Rudolph" over and over was so cute! You are right, Grandpa has set the bar HIGH for future Christmases!

Over-Caffeinated said...

You rascal, that blog header made me CRY! Seriously, I'm an emotional wreck today anyway, but I also cried at the video, just thinking of how awesome it is that Andrew is so loved!

If I come to Atlanta, will you teach me to make my own header... I have looked at every "do it yourself" site out there and CANNOT do it. Of course, my IT code writing hubby won't help! :)

Our Family said...

Hi Becky,

There is nothing quite like the innocence of a child on Christmas! The video of Andrew is priceless, he is quite the dancer!

I must say my personal favorite is the picture of him opening presents with underwear on his head!
Happy New Year!
Adrian

Carey and Norman said...

Love it! I love Andrew looking into the fireplace....Priceless! What a perfect Christmas!

Casey said...

Oh Becky- that is just priceless! Andrew asking where Santa's Rudolph is over and over had me laughing out loud! And the dancing was hysterical! You have a funny little guy on your hands- enjoy him!

:) Casey