Tuesday, January 12, 2010

An unexpected resolution

I’m not a big New Years resolution maker.  Mainly because I start out 110% committed and then by the end of January, I’m about .10% committed, if at all.  Tonight, at dinner, Andrew made me re-think my strategy for one resolution in particular… losing weight and exercise.  I kid you not – this was a rambling conversation with no interjection from me.

The scene: 

Andrew and I sitting at dinner table.  A chicken tender on my plate (no need to mention that I ate half of a container of onion dip and about 40 potato chips while cooking dinner).  A chicken tender and leftover pasta on Andrew’s plate.

The ramblings of Andrew:

“Why are you not eating pasta?  Because you’re fat? (insert sharp look from mom here) Awwwww… (said with regret) I don’t mean fat, that’s not a nice word.  I mean BIG.   You’re big.  But you’re a little fat, right?  Just a little? (emphasis added by holding up two fingers to show just how much a little is)  A little fat like your husband, right?”

The response from Mom:

(Quiet. Quiet. Quiet.  Thinking… laugh?  cry?  laugh and cry?  pour a glass of wine?)  And then I saw the innocent, pensive look on his face.  It was as though he just told me the most profound thing ever and so I chose to laugh.  Of course, then I texted my sister so someone would make me feel better.  And we had the obligatory “we don’t call people fat or big” conversation.  All the while, I just keep thinking “They’re waiving the sign-up fee at the gym until Friday…”

I swear… these kids tell it like it is.  Too funny!

Off to eat some white chocolate covered pretzels and watch some kind of trashy TV.  I’m emotionally wounded, you know, so the white chocolate is totally justified.  :-)

Night!
Becky

15 comments:

Aunt Mandy said...

Ha, I am STILL laughing! Go watch the Biggest Loser - that will make you feel better! Oh, and you are NOT fat!

Over-Caffeinated said...

You are so NOT fat. But I have to tell you that one time Jack walked in and I was wearing a bra and panties. Him, "Oh, gross!" Me, "What, it's like a 2 piece!" Him, "Yeah, and you don't wear a 2 piece." Me, "Ms. Lori does." Ms. Lori is one of his friends moms, and she happens to not be much smaller than me. Jack, "Yeah, but mom, she's ALOT thinner than YOU!" Humph! Step away from the caramel and get back on that treadmill! :) hehehe Nothing like kids to keep you honest.

Tiger & Kar said...

heehee! I'm still laughing! And you are NOT fat - - at all! I can just picture the innocent look on his face. That's hilarious!

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

You are so NOT FAT. I did laugh reading this though! Isn't it funny what kids will say?

Jenny and Randy said...

A glass of wine is also totally justified in these moments. And it goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway), you are so. not. fat.

Mama Fish said...

Aww... poor Andrew. He's learning early about that territory you just don't cross as a man. Was Keith there? Were his eyes trying to subconsciously tell Andrew... "Don't go there. No- nothing good will come of this, my boy." LOL!

BTW- I was searching in my brain for an example of an oxymorin to explain that concept to my boys. Thanks to you, now I have two. The name of your blog... And the words Becky and Fat. :-)

Happy Wednesday!

Alisha said...

HAHAHAHA that is way too funny! Of course you are not fat though. I love the things kids say. I am sure those comments are coming from my kids soon enough. Julia did tell me I was too big to sit on Santa's lap. By the way, love your blog. Mandy has been trying to get me to start one.

Laura S said...

Hilarious! And you are so NOT fat! But if you want to join lifetime let me know. If I refer you you can get an extra $100 Lifetime bucks (to use at the spa!! or cafe)

Jane and Jim said...

YOU fat??! HA! Kids are too funny!

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

Just give him a big hug, document it and when he has just had his first child, pull it out and make him apologize..ha. Things always go in full circle.

You are NOT FAT. You are beautiful!

Kristine
oh, but thank you for the laugh.

Troy and Rachel said...

I'm just going to see:

See above comments!!!

Grandma C said...

When I was just about 3 years older than you are now, I was 130 lbs. Honest. I have a few pictures to prove it. Now, look at me. It creeps ever so slowly when you are not looking. If I could turn back the clock, that would definately be one of the things I would change about me. Habits I would develop: I'd excerise on a regular basis, watch what I eat, and (ask my granddaddy to tell me all his secrets about growing plants.) Now he had a green thumb! You look good Becky, but remember the saying, "out of the mouths of babes." Love you darling.

Amy said...

I have seen pictures of you. You are NOT fat!!! Not fat in the least. Not even a little (holding up my fingers!)

Thanks for a laugh :)

Anonymous said...

He is way too funny!- You totally are NOT fat! It brings back memories of a comment my niece made to me when she was about 5- almost identical to what Andrew said to you, although it also involved that I looked like I had a baby in "there" while she pointed at my stomach. I started doing sit-ups like crazy - gave me a bit of a complex and I had to reassured by everyone that I wasn't fat!
Kids say the funniest things!

Dana and Scott said...

I haven't checked in -in well ages and ages! LAUGHING OVER THIS POST! You are too much:)