Monday, June 4, 2007

Random Things

  • 33 documents notarized today. I will be heading to the Secretary of State office to have them apostilled tomorrow (for real this time)
  • If this missile issue between the US and Russia ruins this adoption, someone is going to get a serious talking to. And I mean a SERIOUS talking-to. I'm not sure to who, but when I find them, look out.
  • How do I not know a single real estate agent in the entire state of Georgia?
  • Why does it take 5 days for my home study to go from ATLANTA to ATLANTA? Seriously, folks... I could have walked my home study from the post office on Piedmont in Atlanta to the USCIS PO Box somewhere in Atlanta at least 100 times in the amount of time it took for the mail to get there.
  • I think I'm getting sick... again. I was awake for less than 5 hours on Sunday and still feel like I've been hit like a freight train. I'm going to chalk it up to the stress from the past 2 months crashing down.
  • K & I watched the first DVD in our mandatory training as required by the adoption agency/Hague Treaty. It was about Sensory Integration Dysfunction. We had to take a test afterwards and my husband beat me. He got a 94 and I got an 88 (1 question difference). We have to take 3 more tests... soooooo... GAME ON, Keith Mixon! :-)
  • What is Sensory Integration Dysfunction, you ask? A lot of children that grow up in orphanages are either over sensitive or under sensitive to one or many of their senses. For a child that is over sensitive, loud noises, lots of touching, multiple things happening at once sends them into a frantic state. For a child that is under sensitive, they tend to not notice things unless they are above and beyond the norm. Hot things aren't quite as hot, loud noises don't cause them to bat an eye, etc... Sensory integration dysfunction is something we will have to watch for with the peanut. If the peanut has problems with this, there are things we can do at home as well as working with an occupational therapist. (I have no idea if I described this right... someone correct me if I'm off my rocker!)
  • Alex is in Savannah - enjoying the beach! He'll be home on Saturday and then will turn right around and head to Myrtle Beach with a friend that afternoon. 16 days without the Little Squirt, what's a step-mom to do! I sit on the couch at night waiting to yell at him to quit procrastinating and get to bed - but, alas, he's not here!

Signing off... going to try to get to bed EARLY tonight! I hope to have a picture of an apostille for you tomorrow!

Becky

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

Good luck tomorrow. Things certainly seem to be moving in the right direction.

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Hi, Becky!

Jim is a real estate agent (part-time), but we are in Tennessee!:O)

I'm sorry you are getting sick. Go to the doctor, friend!!

I enjoyed reading your "random things." You're right, they better not even think about coming between us and our children!!

Adrienne

Allison said...

Hi Becky
I just discovered your blog and wanted to wish you good luck in your journey!
We're also with CHI and are awaiting a referral from Astrakhan. This will be our third adoption (our boys are also from Astrakhan, adopted in 2004 and 2005). The adoption roller-coaster is a crazy one, but we wouldn't trade it for the world!
Good luck!

Allison said...

Just had to add that our youngest son has been diagnosed with sensory integration disorder. We have weekly OT which is wonderful - he's made some amazing progress. I think it's great that you've already studied this a bit. The earlier you recognize the issues, the quicker you can get services.