Thursday, February 14, 2008

An Adoption Labotomy?

Well, I said my dossier was ready to go at the beginning of the week, right? Wrong! It didn't really go out until yesterday. Apparently, when I switched agencies, I also left part of my adoption brain behind. Everything I did was a comedy of errors. Let's review them, shall we?

  • We had the FBI prints incident mentioned in my previous post.
  • Then there was Keith's registration statement that I signed. I finally realized that when I was making photocopies.
  • After that, I emailed Keith a new form. I insisted he print it, sign it, notarize it, apostille it and get it to me so I could fedex it that day. He does. I'm walking back to my desk with it and realize that I never changed the template so it said "February 12, 2007" instead of 2008.
  • Through one last review of the documents, I realized the notary statement for one of my documents was incorrect - it had both of our names in it instead of just mine.

In the end.... it got done! The new dossier arrived at CSS' office this morning and is on it's way to NC to take a ride in another family's luggage to Moscow! THANK YOU, THANK YOU to the family carrying my dossier! I'm not sure who you are, but I'm so grateful to know it's in good hands.

So what's next? Well, now our dossier needs to be translated and then registered in Moscow. Do you realize this is the first time since we started our adoption that our dossier will actually be registered? Amazing!

We don't have a solid timeframe, but I'm hoping we'll travel at the end of March or so. I'm so excited to be moving forward. I'm especially happy to be done with our dossier again! Oh - one more thing - we were able to redo our FBI prints and I sent them off. CORRECTLY. I think my adoption brain might be growing back, at least I hope so.

Have a great night!
Becky

24 comments:

Mama Fish said...

Becky- that is awesome...not about the errors or course, although you wrote it humourously! Can't wait to hear some more news...I know we will soon for you!

Mark and Sinziana said...

Becky, you are a crazy girl!! Now, just let your brain rest for few weeks until you had to use it again for all the travel arrangements you will need for your trip 1!!!
Sinziana

Janine said...

Congratulations!! That's wonderful news! What a difference a change made!! Maybe we will be traveling at the same time! Too bad it's not the same place that would be way cool!!

Anonymous said...

Becky - we also switched from CHI in late Oct having been with them since Dec 06 and still being told wait time likely 6 mos for referral. Sent our dossier to CSS just before Thanksgiving, left for Moscow the middle of Dec and now on our last day in Moscow on our third trip - returing to the States tomorrow with our 12 month old Matthew! So just under 3 months from sending dossier to CSS and completion of process! Had originally requested an older child (18-36 mos) as CHI told us process would be quicker and now have a 12 month old which we think is fantastic. Good luck!

Kathy and Doug Boyer

Laura S said...

Yay! It will be on its way soon...
Congrats on making it this far (again) ;)

Tiger & Kar said...

Becky, you are so funny! I'm thrilled everything worked out & that your dossier will be making its way to Moscow very soon. I'm still holding out hope that we'll be traveling at the same time. Our dossier has been in Moscow since late January & will likely be registered next Friday, the 22nd. Translation normally doesn't take that long, but you already know our circumstances so I won't go into that again. I just wanted to give you some encouragement that CSS moves QUICKLY and you'll be in Moscow very, very soon!

Susan said...

We should be traveling back to Moscow for court and Gotcha Day end of March, maybe we'll be traveling together!

Aaron & Dana Craven said...

Congratulations on getting your dossier together. It is so exciting to think that in the short time you have been with CSS you are making such big progress!!

Jane and Jim said...

I'm glad your brain is back!
I haven't had to do anything 'paperwork-wise' in such a long time, I'm sure when my docs start to expire, I'll be going through the same thing - errors!!
Congrats in getting done with it!
Jane

Troy and Rachel said...

Becky - you are too funny!! I think your allowed a few oopsies through all that you have accompished. I mean a dossier at lightning speed is nothing to sneeze at!! I hope you hear good news soon!!

Melissa said...

we have all had those oopses. congrats on finally getting it in.

Joy said...

You sound a little bit like me! With the change in agencies I went through everything today and got rid of all the old stuff so that I would not get confused. I hope you get your referral soon.
Joy

Dilworth Family said...

Your dossier arrived at our home today! We will pack it with love in our carry on. We will update you when it arrives in Moscow!
Emily
www.lovedilworth.com

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

You are so funny with your posts! I'm glad you got things sorted out and got your dossier sent off! That is wonderful! Maybe we will be in Moscow at the same time, too! :)

Adrienne, Another Ordinary Miracle said...

You are hilarious! I am so glad to hear your dossier is officially on its way. Wow, the end of March? That's fantastic news!!!! I can't wait to hear more!

Dede said...

Congrats! You will be headed to Moscow in no time!

Chris said...

You are now a paper work pro!

I'd make sure the people taking your dossier to Moscow hand carry it on board the plane, and not leave it in their luggage. Luggage gets lost all the time.

You are one step closer! Yeah!

Ryan and Amy said...

You are so funny. Isn't it amazing how many little things have to be done with paperwork? March is right around the corner...can't wait to hear more!

The Wilson's said...

I'm right with you girl. I have been working on updated medicals for more at least a month and something is always wrong -- I'm not good with perfection! I'm glad you documents are finally finished, you can take your first sigh of relief before you start running ragged again.

Wendy

junglemama said...

OMG, at least it is on its way now!

Mary and Michael said...

Hi Becky,

Congrats on getting your dossier done so quickly. Hopefully you will be travelling very soon.

Kathryn said...

I can't believe after all this time, this will be the first time that your dossier will be registered in Russia. Is that why you switched agencies?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting it out the door - huge step!!

Carol said...

Becky, your post made me go through ALL of our dossier documents and make sure everything was ok, I found one mistake so THANK YOU for your very funny post. Good luck on the next phase and have FUN. Carol