First, let me start this post by saying CONGRATULATIONS to Alex! He passed his road test today. I'll follow that with I'M SORRY to the residents of Atlanta.... there is another teenager on the road. :-) Seriously though, he is a great driver. The rule is that he is to text/call before he leaves somewhere and text/call as soon as he gets to his destination. If he doesn't, he looses his license forever. Not really, but it's a good threat.
Okay... onto the real topic of my post. Navigating Life's Paths.
I truly believe that every path you go down in life happens for a reason. Some paths are long and winding and at times you feel like you may have made a wrong turn or are going in circles. Some are straight up hill and you’re afraid you might not make it because you’re so out of shape. On the opposite end of the spectrum, sometimes you feel like you’re headed straight down hill and can’t slow yourself down. Regardless of the type of path, you always wind up where you are meant to be.
As all of you know, we started down our “path” of adoption in March of 2007. It started out being a straight, well maintained path. We gathered documents like crazy people, apostilled to our hearts content and finally in July 2007 our dossier went off to Moscow. Then our path got a bit windy. We couldn’t see around each corner and didn’t know what was next which was hard for a type “A” personality such as myself! At first, we thought our little Peanut was in Krasnoyarsk. In December, we took a sharp left and headed back west towards Izhevsk and now we’re making another change! I’m telling you, I’m getting GOOD experience chasing a toddler. Unfortunately, this toddler seems to be running ALL over Russia!
After many long, long, long (did I mention long) conversations at home (mostly in the hot tub with a glass of wine), we finally decided that it was time for us to change agencies. It wasn’t an easy decision, but it felt like the right one. Over the past few weeks we have been filling out our application, making sure all of our ducks where in a row and making sure we could afford the switch as we knew we wouldn’t be getting any money back.
Yesterday, I officially withdrew our application/dossier (whatever you want to call it) from CHI. I was a bundle of nerves but once it was done, I felt a nice sense of calm. I felt like we were finally back on the path that would ultimately enable us to complete our adoption. We knew that we could get a referral from CHI at any minute since we were #3 in line and we had to decide if the risk was worth it and in the end, we decided that even if it took longer, we felt it was what we were supposed to do.
I’m not going to go through why we decided to leave, etc…I’m happy to say that we left CHI on a good note, provided the agency with feedback and received well wishes from the people we have been working with over the past 11 months. It also means that those families waiting at CHI will move up a spot – so it’s good for many people!
On to the new agency! We are hoping to submit all of our dossier documents next week and be well on our way to a referral! It’s amazing how quickly a second dossier can come together. The only things left to do are FBI clearances, medicals (scheduled for 2/18) and we’re waiting on some updated home study documents! The good news is that we went back down to our original age range of less than 24 months.
So, back to this path we’ve been on…. Like I said, I believe we were on this path for a reason. Without having gone down this road we would not have met the wonderful people we have, we wouldn’t have gotten to learn as much as we have about the process, we wouldn’t have learned so much about different parts of Russia and our future child’s birth country, we wouldn’t have been able to watch families at our agency bring home their children and most importantly, we wouldn’t be where we are today which is hopefully very close to our child! Rachel, Carey, Laura, Jackie, Kristine and Sinziana – thank you all SO much for listening to my pros/cons, rants/raves, ups/downs the past month. Keith thanks you as well because each night I got home from work, I was a much more pleasant person since I had you all to talk to! :-)
So, Chapter 2 (or is it 10?)… HERE WE GO!
22 comments:
I am so glad you made the best decision for you and Keith and I hope this roads finds your little peanut as soon as it possibly can. Don't stop the late night hot tub chats though, those are the best!! And your welcome for all those talks, thanks in return for yours!
Yeah!! Becky- I am really excited for you... Let me know when your dossier is complete and in Russia with the new agency. I can not wait to hear good news soon!
Congratulations, Becky & Keith! I can't even imagine how difficult it was to decide to switch agencies after all you've been through. We switched from "agency A" to CSS after only being with "agency A" for 3 weeks. We knew right away that a long standing relationship with them would not work, but it was still a difficult, gut wrenching decision. (And no, agency A wasn't CHI, although we did consider them as well.)
I admire your bravery, your stamina and your upbeat attitude throughout your entire journey. You have been such an inspiration ot us when things seemed like they were going down hill at a mind dizzying speed.
I hope things move quickly & smoothly with your new agency, and that you're in Russia very soon. Who knows, maybe we'll meet up during one of the trips over! Our dossier will be registered in Moscow sometime between now & Feb. 22 (we hope!).
Anyway, good luck & congrats again. This is so exciting!
Karyn
I am glad you are at peace with your decision. That's the most important thing. And of course I will be here any time you need to talk. Eye on the prize, right! Tater will be happy to entertain you any time you need a munchkin fix. (can't say peanut because thats what he calls me in spanish of course)
I bought you a card this weekend for when its time to get baby presents...hopefully i'll be able to find it at the appropriate time! I'm waiting on presents until we know how old!
Big hugs to you and Keith...and congrats to Alex! Just tell him to stay out of my way!! I already hit one teenager this weekend...long story (I'll catch you up next week). LOL!
Wow Becky - was not expecting that. Please feel free to contact me at any time since as you know we have been there. Switching agencies worked well for us and I am confident it will for you as well. Can't wait to hear more.
Becky,
My husband and I debated about what to do late last year. I know it is not an easy decision. The most important thing is that you are at peace with your decision. I am a big believer in going with your heart.
I will be excited to hear how things go for you and hope you get a referral quickly!
Myra
Dede & I know that this is a tough call to make, but I believe it was the very best thing we did and I'm confident that you will too.
And I think you'll find that CSS is very aggressive. They'll move as fast as you want to move. I never felt like CHI treated us anywhere nearly so professionally as CSS has. Their staff in Moscow have been a real blessing.
I wish you all sorts of luck with the new agency. you have to follow your heart.
Hey Becky,
I'm just catching up with your blog. Wow! What a huge decision! I'm glad that you have peace about it and that you are happily moving forward with your new agency. I'm praying that you will get your referral soon.
Blessings,
Penny
You are more than welcome. Congratulations on your decision. If we can do anything, you let us know. We still want to meet this summer once we are all home to introduce our children to you and one another!!
Best of luck!!
What a big desision you've made! We switched from CHI in December to CSS after having waited 9 months with CHI. We are now trying to complete our second dossier and waiting on our CPA to file our taxes so we can complete our homestudy with accurate financials. We're at about the same stage in the process as you are. I'll be interested in talking with you as you approach the referral stage and prepare for your first trip. Maybe our travel will coincide :-) Wishing you all the best and God's blessings!
Oh, I can totally relate to how hard it was to change (especially knowing that you will not be refunded the $$) but I also know the calm you feel afterwards.
Congratulations on getting to that point - it takes a lot of soul searching and faith.
I hope and pray things start moving very fast for you, and me, and everyone!!!
That was a beautifully written post. Congratulations...can't wait to hear more about your new path!
I hope this move will result in greater peace surrounding your decision to adopt as a whole and faster progress. I know (as one who changed regions once) that our twisted trails are also for a purpose. If our dossier hadn't sat on ice in Moscow for 6 months before we changed to VLAD we would have probably received a different refferal and that wouldn't have been the right child for us. SO, keep the faith even through convolution and in the end you WILL adopt YOUR child and you will see that all of these twists and turns were no accident or mistake at all!
Wow, Becky! What a surprise! I completely understand why you changed though after waiting so long. The decision you made will be the right decision. Your child is still waiting for you, just maybe not where you thought! Let me know how you like the new agency. I am looking forward to staying tuned to read your new chapter! So glad you have peace with your decision. Doesn't it feel good?! :)
Oh Becky, I know what a hard decision this is to make since we were in the same place a couple of months ago. It sounds like you feel really good about your decision; isn't funny how you just know when it feels "right". I think this was a great move for your family and your little peanut will find his way home soon!
I wish you they best in your journey. Look at it as one more step forward on your path. Cliff and I are having a time in deciding between Kygryztan and Ethiopia for our next journey, so I know how it feels when you feel like you are either about to fall of a building or run in feels of clovers. I just believe we are lead to where we need to go when we need to be there
Becky,
I know that you must be relieved. I can tell you that once I made the change I was at peace with my decision. I will pray for a speedy referral.
Joy
I think the comment I left several days ago did not come through on your blog-either that or I emailed you immediately when I read this! I just want to tell you that I'm so glad you have a renewed excitement and joy about your journey to your little boy, and I look forward to hearing about your progress and that you have travel dates!
Becky, I echo many of the sentiments here, not much more that I can add other than our decision to switch to CSS has been the most positive move since our process started. I pray the same for you. Just think- you are already a pro at the paperwork stuff, so that will take no time at all. Congratulations on the switch and best wishes. I look forward to following your progress.
Becky -
I think that the path that you and Keith have decided on will lead you to your child. There are no wrong decisions, it's all about like you said navigating life's paths. I'm so glad that you are following your heart. I'm sure your little peanut is waiting for you and I'm hoping that you will have a quick referral and travel dates to go and pick him up! Can't wait to hear all about your path. MandyJo
Thanks for leaving the comment on our blog! We will have to keep in touch and hopefully our dossiers go over together!
Post a Comment