I am the kind of person that has vivid dreams. Keith is often amazed by the details I can remember and the fact that I can go back and “finish” my dreams. Many times I’ve woken up and said “I need 10 more minutes to finish my dream so I’m not mad at you”. I roll over, go to sleep, un-do whatever happened in my dream and wake up much better.
The past few nights, I’ve had some doozies! Now, let me stop here and tell you that I don’t always have good dreams. Some are high action where I’m being chased or am trying to stop the bad guys, some are fun dreams where we’re on vacation or at the lake, some are sad dreams where I deal with losing my mom over again and some are just downright weird.
Sunday night I had a dream that this random dog came to my house and all of a sudden it was my dog. Well, I found out he only had one day to live and it was up to me to make it his best day. We went to the lake, played fetch, ate ice cream… you name it. In the end, he was laying on the floor, very happy and exhausted and bam – he passed away just like that. I sobbed and sobbed and woke up feeling like I had just lost a dog. Weird, I know.
And then there was last night’s dream. Brace yourselves… this is one that starts out as a great dream and then takes a turn to downright weird, but ends happy. We were in Russia about to head to the Ministry of Education for our referral. Well, apparently you didn’t go by yourself to meet with the director, you went with an entire group of couples. There had to have been 30 or so couples in this classroom like setting. They went over everything that was about to happen, we were handed folders and told not to open them until we get to the orphanage and meet the children.
We all got in a long line and walked down the hall to the orphanage. Do you remember watching 90210 where all of the classroom doors faced the outside? It was just like that. Of course, Moscow is a great place to have an open air setting like that, right? Brrrr… I digress… So we all go into the “classroom”, aka orphanage and they bring out droves and droves of children. Our little boy walks over to us and is just pitiful looking. He is so tiny yet I would say he’s about 18 months old. Brown hair, dark eyes. A very shy little guy who could barely look at us.
Now that we had met him, we were allowed to open his folder. There were pictures of him from when he was born until now. One of the pictures was so sad, I just closed the folder, I could look at it. So, we began playing. I looked at his facial features and detected no FAS (because of course I’m not a doctor, but I play one in my dreams). Keith was doing something on his blackberry and was supposed to be taking pictures. I kept reminding him and then asked him to hand me the camera. He did but there was no lens on it and no battery. Don’t ask.
So, the little guy was great… developmentally behind, but he was just so super cute. And then the weirdness began. I went to go email the doctor to have him come to the orphanage to do his assessment. Whenever I typed in Dr. T’s email address, Dr. M’s email address would come up. Over and over and over again. I finally gave up, found some cheerios and gave the little guy some cheerios. Then back to the email. Same thing - over and over again.
I began to type the email with my observations and I started to type that there are no visual defects. (It’s going to get REALLY weird now… consider yourself warned) I turned back to look at the Peanut and notice that he’s missing fingers on one hand and that they are growing out of his chin. (I kid you not and no I didn’t eat anything strange before bed, unless Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies are a strange before-bed treat)
I turned to Keith and he said he noticed too but (here comes the happy part) we decided that we would adopt him anyway and just get plastic surgery when we arrived home. So, as a class, everyone had to go around and say whether or not they were going to adopt their referral and everyone said yes. We got to pick him up right then and there and take him with us (if only it was that easy). We went to go dress him and low and behold, he had two normal hands!
I woke up and wondered right then and there if I should check into a lovely padded room for some R&R. If anyone out there analyzes dreams, I’d LOVE to hear what this one meant!
16 comments:
No dream analysis here...but I will tell you that I was very entertained!! I can relate because I often have very vivid dreams (I've had one similar to your dog dream, except that it was Nathan that had one day to live - it was a terrible dream) but typically, I don't remember quite as many details as you do!
That is so strange...I have no idea what it means. Maybe that you (since you are supposedly all the characters in your dreams) are just feeling detatched/misaligned from the situation and in the end it will all be ok?
Who knows...but I am thinking this vacation can't come too soon! LOL!!
Oh my gosh. What a dream! I have crazy dreams if I eat chocolate before bed....the Thin Mints maybe??
It's definitely time for a vacation, Becky. :O)
Hi! I think you should write a book about the dog dream and make him come back as a guardian angel! I have very intense dreams, too, but I don't seem to remember as many details when I wake up. I like the fact that everything turned out great in the end of your dream!!
Have a great day! Teresa
I have some strange dreams too, but I think you have been stressing too long and too much about all of this stuff, and this vacation is VERY WELL NEEDED for both of you. Suggestion: Try and re-place yourselves on your honeymoon, relaxed and so in love. Don't think about work, the house, the animuls, Alex, this adoption. Just BE with each other. Literally relax your bodies, your minds and let your spirits just rejuveniate. I think that is what your dreams mean. You are 24hr overstressing.You two go go go all the time. Be the funny, happy, joyful girl my son introduced me to a long while ago. We love you. The Orlando Family
Becky- You make me laugh so much! I hardly ever remember my dreams. I can't even begin to analyze it.... (not that I even know how to analyze dreams!) When is that vacation again? Ours was so relaxing....and I think I'm ready to get back into "reality" again. I hope yours is just as good!
I took a dreams class in college. When we are in deep sleep (REM or Rapid Eye Movement) we have pretty lucid dreams and usually it is our mind still working through our problems or worries that we have while awake. Or it could be about something we desire. If you awake right in the middle of your REM period you will briefly recall a dream. But there are many levels of sleep and only during REM do we experience such vivid dreams. We usually experience a few periods of REM sleep each night so we should all have at least a few dreams a night but we will only recall these dreams if we are woken during this period of sleep.
Your dream to me sounds like you are thinking about your referral, worrying if he is healthy and wanting to bring him home now. Sounds like a totally normal dream too me! :-) The dog dream...that I don't know about.. I wish I could remember more of my dreams. You should keep a dreams journal since you are lucky enough to remember so many dreams..you could learn a lot about what you are thinking about when you are not awake. :-)
Becky -- I remember having a dream about the adoption while we were waiting. I think you are just trying to tell youself that everything will be fine and not to get too caught up in all the details. I am sure that you will get that call sometime soon and your meeting with your son will be fabulous.
VACATION - that is what you need. I think the dream about the child is probably pretty typical since you are worried over your referral. The dog dream - I don't know - I would say that was one lucky dog! Tough on you though. Just focus on your upcoming vacation! It will work itself out!
I can't type I am laughing so hard, especially love the "I am not a doctor but I play one in my dreams". Thank you for sharing. I really think you couldn't have not shared this, its too good. Being a Girl Scout leader, I encourage you to keep eating GS cookies everyday and if you need more, I can hook you up! Seriously, ever try the "All Abouts"? They are the bomb and we have extra!!
Wow! That is strange. But then, I've had some pretty weird dreams myself. Just think if fingers could really grow out of chins. :)
I know we don't know each other. I saw a link to your blog from someone elses' blog.
Awesome! I'm a big dreamer too and can usually remember them as you do. I also dream "movie style". Anyway, I enjoyed and good luck with your adoption. My sister and her husband adobpted a baby from Vietnam last year.
I just started laughing when I read the finger part. My sister goes are you laughing...I said yes, Becky is adopting a child with fingers growing out of his chin. I know this is not funny, but how can you not laugh.
I agree that your dreams are a little strange.
I rarely remember my dreams so I shouldn't comment but ..... funny and yet strange at the same time :) I can't help with the dog dream. But maybe the other one just means that everything really does work out in the end. It may also be time to head to Florida for some relaxation, sooner than later.
Figured out your dog dream. You have lots of animals, so the close person in your dream took on the personna of a dog. Perhaps you should look closer to home and spend time with those you may have neglected lately with all this stress/concentration on the adoption. God will send your son when it's time. But every day is a gift...that's why it is called the present. Look to ones you haven't lately. LOL
I've been analyzing your dreams for a few years now...so let me give these two a shot!
Adoption dream - I think this is your subconscious reminding you that you really can handle anything that's thrown your way! You're a detail person and you don't like surprises. As much as you would like to control everything, you simply can't. But you always rise to the occasion when faced with life's challenges. So when your little guy suddenly had fingers growing out of his chin, you could have run. But you faced the challenge head on and found the peace of acceptance. Once you reached that point you turned around and realized that the problem wasn't really that big of a deal especially after the journey it took to get there...hence the now fingerless chin of your child :-)
Dog dream - I was blow drying my hair this morning, and I had a thought. I think this dream was about Tyler! What you described is basically what you did for him - you gave him the best years of his life as he was approaching the end of his life. While it's a sad dream because he died, I think it's also really sweet and a reminder why you're going to be such an amazing mama!
Hugs, Col :-)
Post a Comment