Thursday, March 27, 2008

TIMBERRRRR!!

Timber!

Well, here goes another tree. I think that pre-adoptive parents must be responsible for many, many acres of the forest being chopped down. First our homestudy, then all of the agency #1’s paperwork, then the dossier, then updates to the dossier, then paperwork for agency #2, then dossier #2 and finally…. Homestudy #2. And boy, oh boy, has a lot changed in GA within one year.

We now need FBI, GBI and some criminal background check as well as a sex offenders check. I think it’s awesome that they are doing so many checks, but the paperwork!!! UGH! Do y’all remember my big mess up with the FBI fingerprints? Well, I have 2 sets of approved prints and so I can use one of those for my homestudy! Go me!

So, here I go again with paperwork! If I thought I could let go of the reigns completely, I would hand everything over to Keith and say “Good luck, honey! See you in a month!” but the control freak in me says “Just do it yourself and get it done with.” So, that’s what I will do.

We now need 5 recommendations letters (that’s up from 3) – 4 from non-family and one from family. You would think I could use the ones from last time, right? Negative. This is a form that needs to be filled out. Back to the drawing board! Oh, dear friends of mine, if you see mail/email from me, please don’t “return to sender”. :-)

Medical reports… one of the most trying parts of the home study process. The new form is 3 pages long for each parent and instead of just submitting Alex’s immunizations, he needs a form filled out too. Have I mentioned that my drs office charges $25 per form? Ohhhhhh yeahhhhhh… just call me rich.

Does everyone remember back in the beginning of the process when we were SO excited to do paperwork? Everything little piece done meant we were one step closer to our referral. And then 3 months passed and your medicals expired. And then another 3 months passed and your medicals expired again. As did your police clearances. And then a year passes and nothing is good anymore. It’s at the year mark where paperwork becomes torture. I’d rather do 100 loads of laundry than have to redo all of this stuff. And I HATE laundry so that’s saying a lot.

Again, I must say that I’m glad that each state requires all of this paperwork as much as it’s a pain in the tuckus. In light of recent events, it’s important that pre-adoptive parents are screened to the fullest. Don’t mind me if I’m lazy and like to complain a lot.

So, my goal is to get the bulk of this done between now and next Friday before our mini-vacation. That will mean that I have less to worry about while on vacation and less urge to try to complete some of it while on vacation (which I totally won’t do because it would be a shame to spill my large fruity drink with the umbrella in it all over my homestudy papers!).

Time for a quick change of topic – what is everyone’s favorite sunless tanner (lotions, self-sprays, tanning bed sprays)? I went to try on bathing suits the other day and I was blinded by my own transparent English/Irish/Swedish/Welsh/Norwegian skin. Of course that was a good thing because I’m not sure I actually wanted to see how much adoption weight I’ve put on. The size suit I bought spoke volumes. I guess Thin Mints are bad before sleep as well as for bathing suit season, huh?

18 comments:

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

The paperwork is never ending...just when you think you've done EVERYTHING and they can't possibly ask for anything else? My goodness! I hope you can get all of these things done before your trip, so you can relax and enjoy your time with Keith without any worries of things hanging over your head! Best wishes with the forms and getting them completed!

Troy and Rachel said...

Ha - your post had me laughing for the comical side of you, but at the same time crying "Ugh!" with you. It is good they do all those checks and see - your two sets of prints turned out great!! Yay Becky!! Hang in there - focus on the paperwork next week - then you'll be on vacation before you know it!!!

BTW does a zillion emails back and forth between us qualify me to do a reference letter for you?!?

Kevin T. said...

Oh my Gosh!!! That is crazy! How can things change that much?! Your writing does make me laugh out loud sometimes at the way you describe things, though! It is so fantastic to have that great sense of humor!- We all need that during this process. I really feel for you guys, though. We are back to square 1 with paperwork, so I know how you feel, but you guys are so close. I am going to say a prayer that this next round of paperwork goes really quickly and smoothly for you guys. You are almost there, I just know it. Hang in there! Take care...Teresa

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

You are a pro at this, probably got it all done today! Besides, what else do you possibly have to do?? I mean you have time to vacation and all :D and sit around eating thin mints...

Just kidding!!!

Yuck, I am so sorry you are having to do all of this again. Don't give up though, that little baby needs you to come and get him and love him forever!

Bill and Myra said...

Great post, very funny!
I am a very white/fair complexion. I tried Mystic Tan or something like that a couple of times before I went to the beach. It did take the "edge" of my whiteness (as my husband says!).

I hope all is well with you! I am still keeping you in my prayers. Hopefully, this round of paperwork will go smoothly.

Myra

Mary and Michael said...

I am convinced that this paperwork never ends, why do things have to expire so quickly??? Well you are motivated; you have a vacation to start, so this is just something to keep you busy next week! Doesn't one of those umbrella drinks sound so nice right now?
Enjoy you time away, whatever gets done this week gets done, but don't stress, (I know, easier said than done) enjoy the break. You can pick up where you left of as soon as you get back. This is your time to relax a little. Have fun :)

Mama Fish said...

Um, I think Rachel should definitely qualify as a referral! lol! I can just picture you with your fruity drink.... toast to getting that paperwork done girl! I too want you to enjoy your time away. :=)

Joy said...

You crack me up. I like to use the sunless tanning lotions that are now on the market. I only burn then turn really white again. If you start using this lotion I think Jergens makes it you will see a glow rather then a orange color.
Also I only use Banana Boat 8spf. I never burn when I apply and then re-apply in a couple of hours. One of the worst burns I got was when I used an spf of 45.
Joy

junglemama said...

Ugh! I don't envy you at this point. WE are just waiting....done with paperwork a month ago.

Dan and Alicia Marlowe said...

I can't even fathom how you are able to have such a jovial, ho-hum attitude about all this! You are going to be an amazing mom to this child. No delivery room story could possibly compare. I pray this will be the last go around. How many $k's do you have in paperwork alone at this point not to mention time and tears?! I know it's a bundle. I also have great faith that little peanut will be SO worth it! Much love to you! Don't sweat it about the swimsuit. I bought the 'swim mini' option from LlBean for our summer vacation. Living in Alaska, a girl doesn't have to come to terms with her cellulite too often but you know what they say tan fat looks better than white fat anyday. Good luck finding a nice lotion. We Northern gals go to the baking booths. There are parts of my body that would never see sun otherwise - and for that my nighbors are truly thankful! Keep smiling Becky, you are an inspiration to all of us!

The Wilson's said...

Ah paperwork, It is like drawing blood! I don't think there is ever and end to it and it becomes more and more ridiculous the closer you get to a court date :)

Kathryn said...

We just sent off our dossier and I am dso relieved that's all the paperwork for a while. My fingerprints will be expring in a few months, as well as the 171-H a few months later.

Laura S said...

UGH! I have a much better appreciation for my husband's hatred of paperwork after our adoption, but the end is worth it as you know.

And sweetheart I hate to break it to you...you will be doing much more laundry when you get that new little boy home. Its amazing that even though their clothes are so tiny you find yourself doing twice the amount of laundry you used to. I feel like I am constantly doing laundry!

Jane and Jim said...

OOOHHH I so agree with you on the crazy paperwork - it's really insane and I go nuts when something expires. Hang in there - it has GOT to be completely finished one day.

Have fun on your mini vaca!

Anonymous said...

You are such a silly. Like size 4 is big. Get the paperwork done. It'll keep you occupied until V Day. Then no more thinking about paperwork, adoption, stress, work, nothing but you and Keith! Honeymoon time. And Remember who loves to do your laundry... I love you guys. Keep your heads up and enjoy your week off.

Carey and Norman said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you have more items to complete. Yes, the adoption paperwork is never ending. I know you are anxiously trying to complete all items as like me it is hard to concentrate on work and life when there is something adoption you could be working on. If we can do anything to help, let us know.

As for the tanners, I cannot help. Since our son was born, all I've used is sunscreen as I don't have time to tan :o) I have used the Jergens lotion with tanner and it doesn't seem to stink as much as the others.

Casey said...

Oh Becky! I am sorry about the extra paperwork, but at least you can laugh at it (a bit!)

As for sunless tanners, I like the Aveeno dial-a-tan stuff. It does a pretty good job with my german-irish-scottish-white skin!

Melissa said...

Girl...I am so thinking about you! And to pass some more time, I tagged you!!