The past 24 hours have just been awesome. All of the stresses have disappeared watching this little boy explore his home, learn to love his animals and being the center of attention. He has been so good, better then I EVER expected and just has such an awesome personality. Instead of rattling on in super long paragraphs, I've summarized our past 24 hours below (in super long paragraphs that were supposed to be quick bullet points!).
The flight - The flight went so well as I mentioned earlier! How did that happen? Well, if I have any tips to give parents of toddlers it is to save toys for the flight that your child has never seen. I packed a backpack for him that I didn't let him see until we got on the flight. Some things that were a HUGE hit for us: Magna Doodle (Andrew loved watching his drawing disappear), a sticker book and a bunch of individual packs of stickers (I brought the sticker book with me and then went to the baby store in Moscow and bought individual packs of stickers of his favorite things - birds, dogs, cars. We stuck stickers on dad's face, on the tray table, in the sticker book - you name it), the fisher price (I think) kids ipod and headphones that Carey and Norman gave us (which was a LIFESAVER - the child can operate it himself/herself and it was good entertainment), a coloring book and crayons, lots and lots of food (we bought crackers at the grocery story and broke the bag up into 5 individual servings so that we didn't have any meltdowns when we said he could have any more, cheerios, gerber graduate cereal bars, etc... We made sure there was very little sugar. Same with drinks - we did 3 parts water, one part juice instead of giving him all juice) All in all he was a good kiddo! I was so impressed! Granted, more than 2 hours sleep would be nice but you take what you can get, right??
The animules - This was my biggest, biggest fear. 1 hour in the car on the way to the airport, 3 hours in the airport, 11 hours on a plane, 2 hours in the airport, an hour in the car on the way home and I expected Andrew to just freak when he saw our dogs and cats (our dogs are big). He walked in, saw the cats and immediately tried to play with them. He saw the dogs outside and came running into the kitchen "BAKA! BAKA" (toddler for sabaka, sabaka - Russian for dog, dog). He was SO excited. One thing that I think helped were the little video clips I showed him of the dogs in Moscow. They weren't strangers to him. He wasn't a fan of them licking him but by this evening he got much better! He's learned to pet the cats nicely (we had a nice chat after he took his kid cellphone by the string and hit the cat) and is getting tolerant of the dogs licks.
Sleep - The boy has been been SO tired but he refuses to go to sleep for fear of missing something. He went down pretty easy last night around 10 and slept until 7 this morning. Skipped his nap and then crashed at about 9 tonight.
Carseat - He's done great in the carseat. He was in one and Moscow and we have to assume his foster parents used one because he was all about it. He LOVES the machinas and trucks.
Toddler proofing -Uhhh yeah. Kinda need to do that a bit better. :-)
Talking and Understanding - The kid is a SPONGE! He is speaking so much and understands even more then he talks. He know's the animals names, he is constantly asking "Eee Etta" (I think it's sort of like "What is this?") and he repeats everything we say! A sponge I tell you!
So what have we done since we've been home? We were on our way to the chiro this morning when I checked voicemail and found out they needed to reschedule. We went on a quick trip to Target to get somethings (nightlights so we can find our way around when he's sleeping, for one!), stopped at the Chattahoochee on the way back so he could touch the water and walk on the rocks, swam in the kiddie pool, went with Alex to get his haircut, stopped at Grandpa and Nana's for some more pool time, had a nice dinner and then crash, bang, boom! He was out cold!
We're exhausted (well, I am!) and so it's time for bed! It's definitely much harder to get things done with a little one around. Hopefully, starting tomorrow, we can start getting a schedule down pat. That will be a challenge for me because I'm not a good schedule type person but I know it's so important for him.
Here are some pictures from the past 24 hours! Enjoy!



16 comments:
Congrats on the smooth transition! I love the pics! My 4 year old won't even put the hose to her head so you're way up on us there. :) I'm so glad he's doing well, therefore you're doing well. Alex looks like he's going to be a great big bro, just wait until the booze and the chicks start rolling in J/K. :) Keep the updates and pics coming, but don't overwhelm him with Target and the toy aisle too much or he'll be asking for TMNT, Ben 10, and Power Rangers before you know it! Can't wait to meet the little guy. Have fun!
Hi!! Welcome Home!!!! I loved reading about your trip and 1st day home!! I am just catching up on blogs - Thanks for you comment on my blog - We don't know what we are going to do.- But, enough about that. Andrew looks so happy and I love the pictures. You are all such a beautiful family! I have a tear as I am writing thig - I am soooo happy for you all and can't wait to follow your new adventures with Andrew finally home. Congratulations! Teresa
It sounds like things are going so well! I'm also glad your flight went smoothly! He is so cute, and I'm sure you just love to watch him explore and discover new things! I was just talking to Michael last night about us all meeting up last September at Chili's in Nashville. Now everyone has their kiddos home! We need to schedule a time to meet up after little Andrew gets adjusted so we can meet all of our little ones now! Have a great weekend! :)
So glad to hear that everything is going so smoothly! Has Brownie tried to get into bed with Andrew yet? Tell him she's a pretty good snuggler, although she is a bit of bed hog! :-)
Now just because you have Andrew home, doesn't mean that you get to quit blogging!! For those of us no longer living in GA, we, meaning me!, need these updates!! So no slacking! If you need to quit your job so you have enough time to keep blogging, well, I think it's the right thing to do! :-)
Hugs all around! Col
Looks like things are going well. But be prepared things could change. Isn't it awesome how God prepares the way though. He is beautiful and you all seem so happy. Enjoy.
Tammy
So happy to hear that things are going so well. I love the pool pictures of Andrew. You will have to tell us more about the ipod that worked so well on the plane for him.
Yeah! The Mixon's are back in GA.. Love the pics.. I want to see some pics of Andrew and the doggies.. Colleen is right - Brownie is a bed hog but nothing is ever quite the same after you have been spooned by Skipper.. LOL.. Keep the blogs and pictures coming.. You have done such a great job so far.. it's almost like I have been there with you guys all along. Love you!
WELCOME HOME LITTLE PEANUT!!!
I am so glad that the trip home was so good. He is so adorable. I bet you are having the time of your life. I think him being in foster care may have been a good thing. I just love the pictures.
Joy
zwfxwYou have prepared well and understand children. It was great to hear how well the plane ride went. Andrew has seemed very bright and doing the things he should be as a 3 year old.
Congratulations! Enjoy your new family and it is great to have a big brother too who Andrew can look up to. Alex you will be a big help to your parents and will enjoy helping to raise a little brother. I had a sister that was 10 years younger and to this day we are very close.
OMG Becky, I get so teared up with your pictures!!!! I have talked with you on the phone, you have helped me through quite a few stressful decisions and now I see your little A home with you and your family looks SO happy...you honestly look like you have been a family forever already. I am so glad that A is adapting so well. Have fun with him!!!!
Renae and Joe
so happy he is settling in nicely. he is adorable.
Welcome Home to all of you! I love the pictures..the kids ask every day to see what you have posted! Looks like you will have a swimmer on your hands! I'm glad he is adjusting so well. Keep having fun!
Yay for U.S. soil! So glad to hear you made it home safely and relatively smoothly, and that things are going well at home. It was great to meet you all last week! Andrew is such a cutie!
I've been following your travels but just now have a few moments to comment. I am SO happy for your family. He is absolutely beautiful and it sounds like the transition is going great. I can't believe how great he did on the flights; I still shudder when i think about our flights with the boys. I am just so excited that you finally have your little boy home with you FOREVER!
So cute! Welcome home!
What a wonderful homecoming post. It sounds like life is grand!
(Ee eta is "And this is?" Shto eta is "What is this?". My baby Russian isn't as good as my Russian, but am happy to help if you need it!)
Post a Comment